OCTOBR 16, 2019 LIVING WATER CAC DAILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE : TOPIC – ARISE AND EAT!
THE LIVING WATER CAC
DAILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE
Wednesday, October 16, 2019
– World Food Day
TOPIC – ARISE AND EAT!
Read – 1 Kings 19:1-10
1. And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and withal how he had slain all the prophets with the sword.
2. Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by to morrow about this time.
3. And when he saw that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there.
4. But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers.
5. And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat.
6. And he looked, and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down again.
7. And the angel of the Lord came again the second time, and touched him, and said, Arise and eat; because the journey is too great for thee.
8. And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.
9. And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?
10. And he said, I have been very jealous for the Lord God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
MEMORISE: And the angel of the Lord came back the second time, and touched him, and said, “Arise and eat, because the journey is too great for you” (1 Kings 19:7)
16th of October every year, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) observes the World Food Day. As this is done today, let us see how God positively used food to deliver a man from being downcast. The man is Elijah, the man who became discouraged, weary and afraid just after he broke a great revival record in his ministry. His expectation that the revival would start from the royal family of Ahab didn’t work out. Instead, he received threat to his life from Queen Jezebel.
Elijah, being ‘a man with a nature like ours’ (cf. Jas. 5:17), was disappointed at, and discouraged by Jezebel’s threat. He became afraid and ran for his dear life. There in the desert, dejected, he sat down and prayed. (1 Kgs. 19:4). Disappointment is part of life’s experiences that we should prepare for everyday. We become disappointed, when our expectations seem not met. Don’t be discouraged, when you are disappointed; only God never disappoints (Num. 23:19).
Elijah became weary and worn out. Two times God sent His angel to strengthen him for the long journey that was ahead of him (1 Kgs. 19:7). God still had great things to do through him, hence the divine endowment and enablement, but he was overcome by the discouragement around him (vv. 9,10). It is likely this made God to terminate his ministry, replacing him with Elisha (vv. 16,18).
What then? Know that no matter what you are pass through, God won’t leave you alone. So, never lose hope in times of trouble (Psa. 46:1). When it seems there is no hope, do not be hopeless. God is by your side.
1. Lord, give me the capacity to control life situations with Your Word of hope.
2. Whatever Satan uses to weigh me down, I shake them off, now, in Jesus’ name.
3. Pray for divine enablement and support for all missionaries who are depressed because of difficult situations on the mission field.
EXTRA READING FOR TODAY: Isaiah 33:15 – 37:4; Colossians 1:16 – 2:8
Author: C.A.C WORLDWIDE