December 8, 2019 CAC Living Water Devotional :- GOD’S SPIRIT UPON BALAAM?
THE LIVING WATER CAC
DAILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE
Sunday, December 8, 2019
TOPIC: GOD’S SPIRIT UPON BALAAM?
Read Numbers 24:1-4
1. And when Balaam saw that it pleased the Lord to bless Israel, he went not, as at other times, to seek for enchantments, but he set his face toward the wilderness.
2. And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he saw Israel abiding in his tents according to their tribes; and the spirit of God came upon him.
3. And he took up his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the man whose eyes are open hath said:
4. He hath said, which heard the words of God, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:
MEMORISE: And Balaam raised his eyes, and saw Israel encamped according to their tribes; and the Spirit of God came upon him (Numbers 24:2)
Balaam was obviously a sorcerer, diviner, and pagan priest (v. 1). How come ‘the Spirit of God came upon him’ (v. 2b)? God can use anything for His purpose, e.g. Balaam’s donkey (22:12ff). When the usable isn’t available, the available becomes the usable for the moment, but that doesn’t make the available relevantly usable at all times. Balak had contracted Balaam to curse God’s people (22:1ff). God decided to turn the table around against Balak, using his own instrument. And that is clearly displayed in how Balaam arrayed his prophecies (22:41; 24:25). He became a ready tool in God’s hand for that moment.
Also, that the Spirit of God comes upon a man doesn’t mean the man has this Spirit inside of him. Only when the Spirit indwells man that he is first God’s, and can function well for God without failing (Rom. 8:14ff).
It was later discovered that Balaam was the instigator of the sexual misbehavior and idolatry of Israel with Moab in Numbers 25:1ff (31:16,17). If Balaam was of God, how could he have helped God’s enemies to defeat His people? The Holy Spirit can never contradict, or work against God (1 Jn. 4:1-6). Obviously, Balaam was not of God. That God’s Spirit used him didn’t change his disposition against God and His people. What is the disposition of your heart towards God? (2 Cor. 13:5ff). Check and make amends where necessary.
1. Lord, help me align with Your Holy Spirit, so that I don’t just serve the purpose of just being used as an instrument and later be discarded.
2. Holy Spirit, convict me of every rebellious tendencies in me, and help me to change, positively.
3. Lord, punitively expose the Balaams in our churches and nation.
EXTRA READING FOR TODAY: Ezekiel 45:3 – 47:16; 1 John 3:18 – 4:14
Author: C.A.C WORLDWIDE