November 18, 2020 CAC Living Water Devotional : Topic – WORK VERSUS RICHES
LIVING WATER🌊 CAC DAILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE
Wednesday, November 18, 2020
WORK VERSUS RICHES
Read: Proverbs 23:4,5
Proverbs 23:4-5 Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom.
Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.
The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it (Proverbs 10:22)
You must have been involved in an argument that bothers on work is not directly proportional to earnings. One of the strongest points in such an argument would be that the earning power of those who dig the earth manually, is nothing compared with that of a professional, in spite of the difficult nature of the job. So, how tasking a job is does not mean it will offer a commensurate pay. The more reason you don’t have to over-labour yourself, because of the crave to be rich.
Why is there mad rush for affluence today? This has driven so many people, especially some of the younger generations to their early graves. It has also increased the rate at which ritual killing is perpetrated in the society.
Majority of people who could not succumb to the pressure of stealing, killing to get rich tried to use work as an option to be among the rich folks. Some have become slaves to work. They have no time for self, family even God.
What does God say about this?
1. No to overwork: In fact, God wants His people to work for certain number of days in a week, and His injunction, is that out of seven days God’s people must work for six days. Therefore, it is not advisable to overlabour simply because you want to be rich. Remember the Lord’s day to keep it holy.
2. Seek God’s bless: The blessing of God makes one to be rich and adds no sorrow (Proverbs 10:22). If you want to be rich outside of God, you will do many things that are contrary to God and the end result is depressing, burn out, sorrow, untimely death, sickness, loss, penury and even jail.
3. Choose job that allows you to serve God and relate well with your family.
4. You need God’s grace over all of your endeavours: How much work did Solomon do to become the richest king in his time. The blessing that Obed Edom enjoyed, how did it come about. The blessing of Abraham was not because this father of faith was a workaholic. Most of these people who made it achieved their financial successes because they knew God and followed His principles for blessing (Deut. 28:1-14).
1. Don’t let me pursue money and forget about You, Oh Lord, help me to know that You are the source of blessing.
2. All children of God who are battling with the struggle to make ends meet, help them and send Your blessing to them.
3. Lord, break down the power of money ritualists and bring them to Your knowledge.
EXTRA READING FOR TODAY: Ezekiel 5 – 7