November 18, 2020 Open Heaven Devotional : Topic – Understanding The Scriptures
Topic: Understanding The Scriptures
Memorise: But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. – 1 john 2:27
Read: 1 Thessalonians 2:13, 2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)
1 Thessalonians 2:13;
13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
2 Timothy 2:15;
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Bible In One Year: Acts 9-10
Open Heaven 18 November 2020 Wednesday MESSAGE:
The Bible, though written in plain English (or your native language) is still difficult for some people to understand. This is because the letters do not carry the message; it is the Spirit of God that does. 2 Corinthians 3:6 says:
“Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.”
You cannot understand the Scriptures without the help of the Holy Spirit, this is why many unbelievers keep misinterpreting it with some even calling it foolishness. 1 Corinthians 2:14 says:
“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”
When you pick your Bible to read, first pray, asking that the Holy Spirit gives you understanding. You have to be sensitive to the Spirit also, because He could be leading you to read a particular passage from where He wants to speak to you that day. People vary in the depth of revelations they receive from the word of God and this is because of their varying levels of infilling by the Holy Spirit. The more of the Holy Spirit you carry, the deeper the revelations you will get from the word of God.
You must also note that the word of God is new every time you read it. Never approach any Scripture with familiarity. Many a-times, I read passages of the Bible that I had been reading for several years and the Holy Spirit interprets it to me in a completely different light. The reason preachers are able to come up with new messages every day despite using the same version of the Bible for centuries is simply because the word of God is never old.
I pray that God will expose the mysteries of His word to you every time you read it in the mighty name of Jesus.
Ask the Holy Spirit for understanding every time you read your Bible.
Hymn 5: Deeper, Deeper In The Love Of Jesus
1. Deeper, deeper in the love of Jesus
Daily let me go;
Higher, higher in the school of wisdom,
More of grace to know.
Oh, deeper yet, I pray,
And higher every day,
And wiser, blessed Lord,
In Thy precious, holy Word.
2. Deeper, deeper, blessed Holy Spirit,
Take me deeper still,
Till my life is wholly lost in Jesus,
And His perfect will.
3. Deeper, deeper! though it cost hard trials,
Deeper let me go!
Rooted in the holy love of Jesus,
Let me fruitful grow.
4. Deeper, higher, every day in Jesus,
Till all conflict past,
Finds me conqu’ror, and in His own image
Perfected at last.
5. Deeper, deeper in the faith of Jesus,
Holy faith and true;
In His pow’r and soul exulting wisdom
Let me peace pursue.
THE REDEEMED CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF GOD DIRECTORATE OF PRAYER THIRTY (30) DAYS PRAYER GUIDE TOWARDS THE REALISATION OF A NEW NIGERIA
DAY 16: WEDNESDAY 18TH NOVEMBER, 2020
TOPIC: PRAYERS FOR MISSIONARIES AND THEIR FAMILY
BIBLE TEXT(s): MATTHEW 28:18-20
The commission to go into the world to preach, heal and deliver the oppressed, is a mandate given to us all. We therefore raise an alter of prayers for the armies on the field and their families.
- Father, thank you for all missionaries all over the world, and for how far God has helped them.
- Father, we thank you for the children and families of missionaries
- Father, thank you for health, safety and protections of all the missionaries
- Father, please destroy every spirit of weariness and tiredness in the life of our missionaries. Isa 40:30
- Father, please release your divine strength upon our missionaries, in Jesus name. Isaiah 40:31
- Father, please raise help and helpers for the assignments you have given to them in Jesus name
- Father, we raise a banner of protection over them and their families
- Father, prosper the works of their hands, make them fruitful and cause them to multiply for the establishment of your kingdom. Genesis 1:28
- Father, please clothe them in righteousness and power, use their hands for miracles, signs and wonders, in Jesus name.
- Father, be their source of joy, peace, hope and assurance, let them always dwell in your presence. Isaiah 26:3, John 14:27
- Father, please put an end to shame and lack in their lives, be their source of provision. Philipians 4:19
- Father, give them boldness and prepare the heart of men to receive your light in Jesus name. Jeremiah 24:7
- Father, we pray nations and tribes yet be reached, you will go ahead to prepare a place and lead the missionaries by your mighty hands, to reach these lands in Jesus name. Psalms 19:4
- Father, we pull down every stronghold and barriers standing against the spreading of the gospel
- Father, we declare that nations shall in every tongue declare your praise and faithfulness. 2Corinthians 10:5
Open Heavens Daily Devotional guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries. The Open Heavens devotional application is available across all mobile platforms and operating systems: iOS, Android, Blackberry, Nokia, Windows Mobile and PC.