November 5, 2020 Open Heaven Devotional : Topic – Freedom from Depression II
Topic: Freedom from Depression II
Memorise: I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. – John 14:18
Read: Psalm 40:1-5 (KJV)
1 I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
4 Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.
5 Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.
Bible in One Year: Mark 13
Yesterday, we looked at how a relationship with Christ can drive depression away from a person’s life. However, once in a while, Christians also get depressed. A Christian may get depressed when life’s challenges make them lose sight of how great God is or how much He loves them.
I have experienced this before. I was already the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God then, and the Church was growing, but somehow, I felt the people I was patronizing did not care about me. I felt I was labouring in prayers and fasting for them, but they didn’t care, so I decided that I was going to resign as the General Overseer of the Church. With my decision made, I took a nap and when I woke, there was a young girl who had come to see me. She said God told her to come and give me a cake. I was so touched by the gesture that even though I don’t like cake so much, I ate that one. Then God said “I thought you said no one cared”. I realized that I had paid so much attention to appreciation from the people that I did not remember how much God cares for and loves me.
Now, when as a believer you are feeling depressed, what you need is to go deep into the presence of God because Psalm 16:11 says:
“Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.”
You cannot be engulfed in the presence of God and not feel His love and care for you; that love you feel will bring joy to your soul. How can you get into the presence of God? Simple. Through praise and worship. David said in Psalm 100:4 that with thanksgiving, you enter into the gates of God and with praises, you enter into His courtyard. When you praise and worship God for a long period of time, you will feel His presence come down greatly and since in His presence there is fulness of joy, you will begin to feel a joy that is beyond understanding. That is why Isaiah 61:3 says a garment of praise will replace a spirit of heaviness:
“To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;…”
Father, please give me a garment of praise in place of every heaviness in my heart
Hymn 3: Be Glad In The Lord And Rejoice
- Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice,
All ye that are upright in heart;
And ye that have made Him your choice,
Bid sadness and sorrow depart.
Be glad in the Lord and rejoice;
Be glad in the Lord and rejoice.
- Be joyful, for He is the Lord
On earth and in Heaven supreme;
He fashions and rules by His word—
The “Mighty” and “Strong” to redeem.
- What though in the conflict for right
Your enemies almost prevail?
God’s armies, just hid from your sight,
Are more than the foes which assail.
- Though darkness surround you by day,
Your sky by the night be o’ercast,
Let nothing your spirit dismay,
But trust till the danger is past.
- Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice,
His praises proclaiming in song;
Let gratefulness give all a voice,
The loud hallelujahs prolong!
THE REDEEMED CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF GOD DIRECTORATE OF PRAYER THIRTY (30) DAYS PRAYER GUIDE TOWARDS THE REALISATION OF A NEW NIGERIA
DAY 3: THURSDAY 5TH NOVEMBER, 2020.
TOPIC: LET DAVID OF OUR TIME ARISE
BIBLE TEXT: Psalms 89:20-22
The nation Israel, just like Nigeria, was highly favoured by God but saddled with both internal and external problems that hindered the purpose of God. Then God found David, who bridged the internal gaps and subdued external oppositions.
- Father, we thank you for the creation of this nation Nigeria.
- Father, we thank you for blessing Nigeria in all areas
- Father, we thank you for prophesies that revealed your plans and purposes for Nigeria.
- Father, have mercy on Nigeria and please forgive all our errors in Jesus Name.
- Father; forgive all our past attitude of ingratitude in Jesus name. 2 Tim 3:2
- Father, bring forth the David you have prepared for Nigeria in Jesus Name.
- Father, give us in Nigeria, a leader that knows you though may not be known
- Father, give us a leader that honours you above all other things like David in Jesus Name.
- Father give us a leader that will transform the lives of all that are frustrated in this nation.
- Father, give us a leader that will silence all that are singing the song of division in Nigeria.
- Father, please give us a leader that will deliver us from all forms of external oppression in Jesus Name.
- Father, please give us the leader that will silence and disappoint all the external forces that believe nothing good can come out of Nigeria.
- Father give us the leader that will bridge the gap between the East and West, and between the North and South in Jesus Name.
- Father give us a leader that will always seek your approval before taking crucial decisions.
- Oh God raise up people like the Joseph, David, Daniel for the revival of our nation in Jesus name.
- Father, give Nigeria a leader that will bring back the glory of this nation that was lost in Jesus Name.
- Father give a leader that will openly declare you as the God of Nigeria in Jesus Name.
- Father give us the leader that will deliver this nation from the hand of devourers in Jesus Name. Mal 3:11
- Lord we pray for the leader that will restore the tabernacle of God to Nigeria in Jesus name.
- Lord arise and turn the enemies of Nigeria against themselves, in Jesus name.
Open Heavens Daily Devotional guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries. The Open Heavens devotional application is available across all mobile platforms and operating systems: iOS, Android, Blackberry, Nokia, Windows Mobile and PC.