UCB Word For Today Devotional For August 27, 2022 : Topic – Find a mentor. Become a mentor.
Find a mentor. Become a mentor.
27 AUGUST 2022
‘The works that I do he will do also.’
John 14:12 NKJV
Jesus was the perfect mentor. He told His disciples, ‘He who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also.’ If you want to reach the fullness of your God-given potential, ask God for the right mentors. You will always go further with a good mentor coaching and pushing you. Some mentors are given for a short season, others for a lifetime, so you must know the difference. How do you recognise a mentor? In eight ways. The credo of the true mentor is this:
1) I am willing to spend the time it takes to build a close relationship with the learner;
2) I commit myself to believing in the potential of the learner, to telling them the exciting future I see ahead for him or her; to visualising and verbalising the possibilities for their life;
3) I am willing to be vulnerable and transparent before the learner, I’m willing to share not only my strengths and successes, but also my weaknesses, failures, brokenness, and sins;
4) I am willing to be honest yet affirming in confronting the learner’s errors, faults, and areas of immaturity;
5) I am committed to standing by the learner through trials – even trials that are self-inflicted as a result of ignorance or error;
6) I am committed to helping the learner set goals for his or her spiritual life, career, or ministry, and to helping the learner dream his or her dream;
7) I am willing to objectively evaluate the learner’s progress toward his or her goal;
8) Above all, I am committed to faithfully living out everything I teach.
Ecclesiastes 1-3, 2 Corinthians 4