September 5, 2022 Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional : Topic – Functional Prayer
TOPIC: Functional Prayer
TEXT: Romans 8:26-30 (NKJV)
- Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
- Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit [is,] because He makes intercession for the saints according to [the will of] God.
- And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to [His] purpose.
- For whom He foreknew, He also predestined [to be] conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
- Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.
Prayer is important in that it affords a Christian the presence of God, and an invitation to God to provide gracious solutions to the problems of men. However, a prayer that is not according to God’s will is likely not to receive a positive answer. Man is limited in his knowledge and hence may not pray aright in the face of overwhelming circumstances. The Holy Spirit is the only person who knows the mind of God at any time, hence an important personality in functional prayer. He intercedes for as many as will let Him. When He is in charge of our prayer life, no situation gets out of hand but rather becomes an avenue for God to manifest His deliverance grace for us.
Those who are not yet filled with the Holy Spirit may not be able to take advantage of this provision. Therefore, “If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?” (Luke 11:13). These are the words of Jesus Christ. Ask the Holy Spirit to endue you today and see your prayer life become an interesting experience.
PRAYER: Fill me with your Spirit, O Lord, that I may pray according to your will.