UCB Word For Today Devotional For October 25, 2022 : Topic – Building good relationships
Building good relationships
25 OCTOBER 2022
‘Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead.’
Philippians 2:4 MSG
Paul writes, ‘Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don’t be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand’ (v. 4 MSG). That means do these five things:
1) Be genuinely interested in others. ‘Laugh…when they’re happy; share tears when they’re down’ (Romans 12:15 MSG). And you can only do that when you take the time to find out what’s going on in someone else’s world.
2) Be upbeat. ‘A cheerful heart brings a smile…a sad heart makes it hard to get through the day’ (Proverbs 15:13 MSG). Don’t dump your problems on others, they have enough of their own. Take them to the Lord in prayer.
3) Be careful what you say, and always say less than you think. ‘A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in’ (Proverbs 29:11 KJV). And since how you speak is as important as what you say, always be kind and courteous.
4) Be reliable. The Bible says, ‘In the last days…men shall be… trucebreakers’ (2 Timothy 3:1-3 KJV), but you don’t have to fulfil that prophecy. When you say you will do something, do it. Character is measured by actions, not words. So strive to be a person whose word has meaning.
5) Be an encourager. Barnabas was known as a motivator because he ‘encouraged the believers’ (Acts 11:23 NLT). Ever notice what happens when you push a child on a swing? Eventually they start pumping and doing it themselves; they just needed a little help to get going. Even a smile can work wonders. Job said, ‘When they were discouraged, I smiled at them. My look of approval was precious to them’ (Job 29:24 NLT). Sometimes it’s that simple!
Jeremiah 43-45, Titus 2