May 19, 2020 CAC Living Water Devotional :- JONAH OR NOAH
CAC LIVING WATER DAILY DEVOTIONAL.
Tuesday, May 19, 2020
JONAH OR NOAH
Read Jonah. 1:1-12
1. Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,
2. Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
3. But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.
4. But the LORD sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken.
5. Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep.
6. So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy God, if so be that God will think upon us, that we perish not.
7. And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is upon us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell upon Jonah.
8. Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? what is thy country? and of what people art thou?
9. And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the LORD, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land.
10. Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him, Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the LORD, because he had told them.
11. Then said they unto him, What shall we do unto thee, that the sea may be calm unto us? for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous.
12. And he said unto them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is upon you.
MEMORISE: And the people said unto Joshua, The LORD our God will we serve, and his voice will we obey (Joshua. 24:24)
Jonah and Noah were both Prophets of the most high Yahweh. The difference between the arrangements of the letters in their names is letter “J”. These men of God had many things in common, but one things differentiates them. They were both divinely assigned on a life saving mission to men. Both were devoted Jews. Their impacts on their different generations and beyond were great. But there were differences in their responses/attitudes to God’s call.
Jonah was instructed by God to preach to, and warn Nineveh, because of their sin, so that they could turn to God for forgiveness. But he reluctantly did his assignment, changing the terms of service. He did not completely cooperate with God in the execution. He even initially rejected the offer and was ready to die instead of doing the right thing.
Noah, on the other hand, was commanded to build Ark to save his world. He accepted and completely worked out his assignment according to the terms of engagement. He moved to site without hesitation. He passionately, humbly and gracefully completed his assignment. His love for the people was second to none, hence his patient with their stubbornness. He joyfully did his assignment, was happy with the result, and thankful to God for His final decision. Can these be said of you?
We have lessons to learn from Noah and the repentant Jonah’s obedient response. The ass, its colt, and their owner gladly made themselves available for the Lord’s use. There is urgency in the assignment in your hand. Don’t reserve your best for tomorrow; use it now! No great team reserves their best when they have crucial task at hand. Whatever is your God given assignment, small or big, go for it with your best. Be among the few who will trust God’s Word and do it passionately, God help you!
1. Lord, help me never to fall in all that You commit into my hands.
2. As You helper the hearers of Jonah to accept the message and repent, give ears to those that will henceforth hear Your Word from me, to act according to Your will.
3. Pray against the spirit of reluctance or hesitation in doing God’s work among Christians and churches in the land.
EXTRA READING FOR TODAY: 1 Kings. 4-5 & 1 Corinthians. 10