Rccg Teachers Sunday School Manual For Teen February 7, 2021, Lesson 23 : Topic – Live In The Spirit
RCCG 2020/2021 ZEAL (AGE 13-19)
TEENS TEACHER’S MANUAL
SUNDAY 7TH OF FEBRUARY, 2021
LESSON TWENTY-THREE (23)
TOPIC: LIVE IN THE SPIRIT
GALATIANS 5:25 (KJV)
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
ROMANS 8:1-14 (NIRV)
1. The Holy Spirit Gives Life Those who belong to Christ Jesus are no longer under God’s sentence.
2. I am now controlled by the law of the Holy Spirit. That law gives me life because of what Christ Jesus has done. It has set me free from the law of sin that brings death.
3. The written law was made weak by our sinful nature. But God did what the written law could not do. He made his Son to be like those who have a sinful nature. He sent him to be an offering for sin. In that way, he judged sin in his Son’s human body.
4. Now we can do everything the law requires. Our sinful nature no longer controls the way we live. The Holy Spirit now controls the way we live.
5. Don’t live under the control of your sinful nature. If you do, you will think about what your sinful nature wants. Live under the control of the Holy Spirit. If you do, you will think about what the Spirit wants.
6. The way a sinful person thinks leads to death. But the mind controlled by the Spirit brings life and peace.
7. The sinful mind is at war with God. It does not obey God’s law. It can’t.
8. Those who are controlled by their sinful nature can’t please God. 9. But your sinful nature does not control you. The Holy Spirit controls you. The Spirit of God lives in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to Christ.
10. Christ lives in you. So your body is dead because of sin. But your spirit is alive because you have been made right with God.
11. The Spirit of the One who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you. So the God who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your bodies, which are going to die. He will do this by the power of his Spirit, who lives in you.
12. Brothers and sisters, we have a duty. Our duty is not to live under the control of our sinful nature.
13. If you live under the control of your sinful nature, you will die. But by the power of the Holy Spirit you can put to death the sins your body commits. Then you will live.
14. Those who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.
MEMORY VERSE: Gal 5:16 “This I say then, walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.”
HYMN FOR TODAY:
Let your living water flow over my soul.
LESSON AIM: To encourage the teenagers to live in the Spirit.
CENTRAL TRUTH: You need the Holy Spirit to run the Christian race successfully.
INTRODUCTION: The Spirit of God in a man is not a mere passive quality, but the deliberate preference of right to wrong, the firm and persistent resistance of all moral evil, and the choosing and following of the moral good. When the Spirit takes possession of a person, the result is that the character is transformed to reflect the fruit of the Spirit which manifest in
love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance Gal 5:22-23. The Spirit-filled life will not struggle with the Holy Spirit but allow Him to develop his or her life.
1. PREREQUISITE FOR LIVING IN THE SPIRIT
• The scripture makes it clear that everyone receives the Holy Spirit the moment he or she believes in Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord
Rom 8:9,1 Cor 12:13, Eph 1:13-14.
• There is the evidence of speaking in tongues – Acts 2:4
• The sinful man/old nature produces fruits that reflect that nature Gal 5:19-21 and the Holy Spirit steps in at conversion to bring in fruits that reflect the new nature -Gal 5:22-23
2. WHY DO BELIEVERS NEED TO LIVE IN THE SPIRIT?
Those who walk and live habitually in the Holy Spirit, responsive to, controlled and guided by the Spirit will not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh. This is so because the flesh (human nature without Christ), is continually antagonistic and in constant conflict with the Holy Spirit – Gal 5:17
• The fire of the Holy Spirit distinguishes a true believer from a false one – Matt 3:11-12
• The power of the Holy Spirit strengthens believers to witness. For Christ. He makes the believer fearless and bold – Acts 2:14-47
• The believer who lives in the Spirit and allows the Holy Spirit to manifest the fruit in their lives, will experience various categories of joy and peace on every side. Peace comes from the Holy Spirit – James 3:17
• The fruit of the Spirit is produced by the Holy Spirit and every believer needs to show these characteristics – fruit of righteousness sewn in peace, pure wisdom from above, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance James 3:17-18
• The Lord Jesus through the Holy Spirit helped believers to conquer the godless nature of the flesh – Phil 4:13, Gal 5:18.
• The Holy Spirit works in the believer to bear more fruits. He is the divine wind and enabling grace behind a fruitful Christian life – Ezekiel
37:1-10, 1 Cor 2:4, Luke 4:14-18
• He makes the believer confident in God’s promises which make us rejoice in our walk with the Lord and with other believers – 2 Corinthians
1:24,1 Thess 2:19-20
• The Holy Spirit draws the believer to God. Without the Holy Spirit, no one would seek God -Ps 16:11
3. THE MINISTRY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT:
The ministry of the Holy Spirit among many include the following:
• He quickens our mortal bodies – Rom 8:11 which makes it illegal for sickness and diseases to dwell there, but instead turns it to partakers of God’s divine nature – Matt 3:12, 2 Peter 1:4
• He guides into all truth John 18:12-13. He enlightens the believers understanding and gives solution to all problems that may confront us.
• He reveals things to come – Acts 21:4, 10-12
• He reminds of things taught -John 14:26
• He reproves the world of sin. The sinner gets convicted by the Holy Spirit – Zechariah 4:6
• He reproves the world of righteousness by making them to live righteous in the midst of perverse generation.
• He reproves the world of judgement – John 16:11
• He gives spiritual gift to believers who earnestly covet them -1 Corinthians 12:4,11
CONCLUSION: The primary purpose of the coming of the Holy Spirit in the life of a believer is to conform us to the image of Christ, making the believer more like Jesus. As teenagers experience the fullness of God through the
Holy Spirit and the manifestation of the fruit of the Spirit, they will find it easier to show love, kindness, goodness and other fruit with their friends and others.
i. What is God saying in the text?
ii. How can I apply this to my life?
MY PRAYER POINT FOR THE LESSON:
Father, let me begin to exhibit the fruit of the Spirit in Jesus name.