UCB Word For Today Devotional For January 26, 2023 : Topic – Advice on dating
Advice on dating
25 JANUARY 2023
There is no definitive test that can predict how a date will ultimately work out, but here are five questions you should always ask yourself:
1) What’s my first impression of this person? For example, who do they hang out with? What kind of events do they enjoy? Do they lie? Steal? Swear? Do drugs? This kind of information can save you untold heartache down the road. And, not to judge a book by its cover, until you really get to know somebody, what else can you go by?
2) How well do I know them? Isn’t it wiser to date someone you have known for a while instead of a stranger?
3) Are they gracious towards others? Nothing is worse than a man who brags about his previous conquests, or a woman who constantly criticises her ex. Would you trust that kind of person with your reputation and your heart?
4) Do we share the same values? The Bible says, ‘Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?’ Opposites may attract, but that’s not a good rule when it comes to values. You need to know that your date is a committed Christian who lives by his or her convictions. What kind of standards do they have about things like money, morals, and films?
5) Can I trust them to keep their word? In previous relationships did they flirt, or cheat, or remain loyal? Count on it, a promise breaker will inevitably become a heartbreaker.
If you’re dating, here is some sound advice: ‘Seek [God’s] will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take’ (Proverbs 3:6 NLT).