Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional For August 29, 2022 : Topic – The Principles Of Good Living
TOPIC: The Principles Of Good Living
TEXT: Proverbs 3:27-4:9 (NKJV)
- Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in the power of your hand to do [so.]
- Do not say to your neighbor, “Go, and come back, And tomorrow I will give [it,”] When [you have] it with you.
- Do not devise evil against your neighbor, For he dwells by you for safety’s sake.
- Do not strive with a man without cause, If he has done you no harm.
- Do not envy the oppressor, And choose none of his ways;
- For the perverse [person is] an abomination to the LORD, But His secret counsel [is] with the upright.
- The curse of the LORD [is] on the house of the wicked, But He blesses the home of the just.
- Surely He scorns the scornful, But gives grace to the humble.
- The wise shall inherit glory, But shame shall be the legacy of fools.
- Hear, [my] children, the instruction of a father, And give attention to know understanding;
- For I give you good doctrine: Do not forsake my law.
- When I was my father’s son, Tender and the only one in the sight of my mother,
- He also taught me, and said to me: “Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands, and live.
- Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth.
- Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you.
- Wisdom [is] the principal thing; [Therefore] get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.
- Exalt her, and she will promote you; She will bring you honor, when you embrace her.
- She will place on your head an ornament of grace; A crown of glory she will deliver to you.”
Wisdom is the application of the knowledge of God’s word. To live comfortably in a perverted society requires wisdom. Many ungodly characters abound daily to shake one’s faith in God. Solomon explained some basic principles derived from wisdom which aim to encourage good living of mankind in the society. They include:
(1) Do not withhold good (verse 27-28).
(2) Do not devise evil (verses 29-30).
(3) Do not envy (verses 31-32).
The implications of these principles are shown in verses 33-35. This shows that wisdom is security and we will live peacefully if we carefully follow these principles. Solomon also enjoined the young to desire wisdom and set themselves on the road to grace and glory (4:5-9) Christians are also instructed in these principles.
We must lend to those in need and do good to all men (Galatians 6:10). If we do good, we shall be happy (John 13:17). If our neighbours dwell peacefully with us, we should not generate strife with them. We must always work with a positive outlook in life. We should also learn to be contented with the things we have so that we won’t follow others to seek wealth through evil means. It is an abomination to the Lord!
PRAYER: …For wisdom is a defence and it gives life to those who have it.