Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional For August 31, 2022 : Topic – Wisdom: The Giver Of Life
TOPIC — Wisdom: The Giver Of Life
TEXT: Proverbs 8:22-36 (NKJV)
- ” The LORD possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old.
- I have been established from everlasting, From the beginning, before there was ever an earth.
- When [there were] no depths I was brought forth, When [there were] no fountains abounding with water.
- Before the mountains were settled, Before the hills, I was brought forth;
- While as yet He had not made the earth or the fields, Or the primeval dust of the world.
- When He prepared the heavens, I [was] there, When He drew a circle on the face of the deep,
- When He established the clouds above, When He strengthened the fountains of the deep,
- When He assigned to the sea its limit, So that the waters would not transgress His command, When He marked out the foundations of the earth,
- Then I was beside Him [as] a master craftsman; And I was daily [His] delight, Rejoicing always before Him,
- Rejoicing in His inhabited world, And my delight [was] with the sons of men.
- ” Now therefore, listen to me, [my] children, For blessed [are those who] keep my ways.
- Hear instruction and be wise, And do not disdain [it.]
- Blessed is the man who listens to me, Watching daily at my gates, Waiting at the posts of my doors.
- For whoever finds me finds life, And obtains favor from the LORD;
- But he who sins against me wrongs his own soul; All those who hate me love death.”
Today, the personality of wisdom is changed to a masculine gender unlike the feminine gender in verses 1-21. This passage explains the essence of wisdom in the creation story. God possessed wisdom in the beginning before He created anything. He made use of wisdom to establish and bring forth all that are recorded in creation (verses 23-25). The personality of wisdom shows the existence of the word of God which is Jesus Christ. Nothing was done before Him and behind Him. In fact, through Him, all things were made. Hence, He becomes the Giver of life (verses 26-31). Knowing that Christ is the Wisdom of God and through Him all things came to existence, Christians are admonished therefore to listen to Him so that they may be blessed (verse 32).
We are enjoined to daily seek after wisdom who stands at the gates and public places waiting for our acceptance (verses 1, 34, cf. Revelation 3:20). We should also know that whoever finds Christ finds life and obtains favour from God. He will give us blessings on earth and in the world to come, eternal life. Then, we shall live forever!
PRAYER: For in Him we live, and move and have our being.