UCB Word For Today Devotional For June 15, 2023 : Topic – You are Christ’s ambassador (3)
You are Christ’s ambassador (3)
15 JUNE 2023
‘Our citizenship is in heaven.’
Philippians 3:20 NIV
Let’s recap. As an ambassador, you must have the following qualifications and characteristics:
1) Be a citizen of the country you represent. ‘Our citizenship is in heaven.’
2) Your character and conduct must reflect the highest values of your country. ‘That our God may make you worthy of his calling’ (2 Thessalonians 1:11 NIV).
3) You must be equipped for the job. ‘There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit’ (1 Corinthians 12:4 NIV).
4) You must be loyal to your country. Now, let’s look at two more qualifications:
5) An ambassador must be an effective communicator. The best ambassadors are bilingual; they speak and understand the language of those around them. Can you do that? In order to have the right answer, you must understand the question, the questioner, and where they’re coming from. The Bible says, ‘If someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it. But do this in a gentle and respectful way’ (1 Peter 3:15-16 NLT). Note the words ‘always be ready’.
6) An ambassador must be a good diplomat. Ambassadors are most effective when they’re winsome as they go about their work. You wouldn’t want someone representing your country who was arrogant and abrasive in dealing with others. Jesus said, ‘By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another’ (John 13:35 NKJV).
Our message is the gospel, and our strategy is love! What’s our message? ‘We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: be reconciled to God’ (2 Corinthians 5:20 NIVUK).
1 Chronicles 10-12, Acts 16:1-21