RCCG JUNIOR ZEAL (AGES 13-19) – TEACHER’S MANUAL FOR OCTOBER 22, 2023 LESSON 8: TOPIC – QUALITIES OF A GRATEFUL HEART 1: HOLY SPIRIT FILLED
RCCG LOWER JUNIOR ZEAL FOR 2023/2024
AGE 13-19 TEACHER’S MANUAL
SUNDAY 22ND OF OCTOBER, 2023
LESSON EIGHT (8)
TOPIC: QUALITIES OF A GRATEFUL HEART 1: HOLY SPIRIT FILLED
BIBLE TEXT: Ephesians 5:18-21
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
MEMORY VERSE: Ephesians 5:18 – “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but be filled with the Spirit.”
LESSON AIM: At the end of the study, teenagers should be able to understand that one of the qualities of a grateful heart is being filled with the Holy Spirit.
CENTRAL TRUTH: The Holy Spirit helps to have a heart of gratitude to God.
INTRODUCTION: A grateful heart is sustained and brought about by the tangible indwelling of the Holy Spirit in a person’s life. It takes more than just wanting to be grateful to indeed be grateful. Being grateful to God is easier and acceptable when it is from a heart filled with the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit who teaches us how to please God and especially how to be grateful to Him always.
A SPIRIT-FILLED LIFE HAS THE FOLLOWING QUALITIES:
• Jesus is Lord over that life – Rom. 12:2.
• A Spirit-filled life express gratitude with the help of the Holy Spirit – Eph. 5:18-19.
•A Spirit-filled life is submissive and fears God – Eph. 5:21.
• A life that is led by the Spirit of God – Rom. 8:14.
• A life that exhibits the characteristic nature of God – Gal. 5:22-23.
• A life that lives on the Word of God – Col.3:16-17.
• A life that can receive extraordinary power for service from God- Acts 2:4.
WHY SHOULD WE LIVE A SPIRIT-FILLED LIFF?
• We would be able to please God – Heb. 11:6.
• Our eternity is sure – John 10:28-29.
• Our victory is assured -1 John 5:4-5.
• It helps us live with and have a heart of worship and thankfulness to God – Eph. 5:19-20.
HOW CAN I EXPERIENCE OR HAVE A SPIRIT-FILLED LIFE?
• Accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour.
Confess and forsake all known sins with a heart of repentance – 1 John 1:9.
• Yield every area and aspect of your life to God – Rom. 6:13.
• Walk by faith and not by feelings or emotions – Gal. 5:16-18.
• Dwell on God’s Word daily – Col. 3:16-17.
• Avoid sin – I Thess. 5:22.
• Pray, especially in the Spirit – Jude 1:20, Eph. 6:18.
LIFE APPLICATION: Without the Holy Spirit, it is impossible to please God, let alone have a heart of gratitude. Hence, as believers, we must ensure the Holy Spirit resides in us as He alone can teach and dire us in ways to please God.
CONCLUSION: A heart of gratitude is strengthened by the Holy Spirit and if you’ve not accepted Jesus, you do not have access to the Holy Spirit. Accept Jesus today if you have not and submit to the leading of the Holy Spirit from today.
TODAY’S LESSON REFLECTION:
What truth have you learnt in today’s lesson?
Write down one way in which you are going to apply what you now know.