RCCG JUNIOR ZEAL (AGES 13-19) – TEACHER’S MANUAL FOR OCTOBER 29, 2023: TOPIC – QUALITIES OF A GRATEFUL HEART 2: HUMILITY
RCCG LOWER JUNIOR ZEAL FOR 2023/2024
AGE 13-19 TEACHER’S MANUAL
SUNDAY 29TH OF OCTOBER, 2023
LESSON NINE (9)
TOPIC: QUALITIES OF A GRATEFUL HEART 2: HUMILITY
BIBLE TEXT: Daniel 4:35-37
And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?
At the same time my reason returned unto me; and for the glory of my kingdom, mine honour and brightness returned unto me; and my counsellors and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom, and excellent majesty was added unto me.
Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.
MEMORY VERSE: Daniel 4:37 “Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.”
LESSON AIM: At the end of the study, teenagers should be able to understand that humility is needed for a grateful heart
CENTRAL TRUTH: It takes humility to express gratitude to God.
INTRODUCTION: A humble heart is such that sees others before himself or herself and by so doing, also sees the goodness and kindness of others when expressed to him or her. A proud heart on the other hand, feels entitled to whatever is done or given and as such sees it as people’s responsibility to care or do whatever it is they do for him or her. Knowing this gives us an understanding of why God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble (James 4:6)
• CHARACTERISTICS OFA HUMBLE PERSON
• A humble person is grateful for everything in life – 1 Thess. 5:18.
• A humble person is a seeker of God – Ps. 69:32.
• A humble person lives in respect and honour of God – Dan. 4:37.
• A humble person rejoices with others – Romans 12:15.
WHY SHOULD WE BE HUMBLE?
• We should be humble so that God will exalt and lift us – James 4:10, 1 Peter 5:6.
• God gives more grace, strength and ability to the humble – James 4:6.
• Being humble prevents God’s wrath – 2 Chro. 32:26.
• Humility makes God hear us – 2 Chro. 34:27.
• Humility helps us follow God and learn from Him – Ps. 25:9
• Being humble makes us receive God’s favour – Prov. 3:34
HOW CAN I BE HUMBLE?
• Be born again – 2 Cor. 5:17.
• Recognise what God has done for you and constantly live in that consciousness (a heart of gratitude) – 1 Thess. 5:18.
• Living in submission and obedience to the will of God – John 5:30.
• Acknowledge and confess your sin to God – Prov. 28:18.
• Acknowledge your wrongdoings to otherS and make amends – James 3:2, 5:16.
EXAMPLES OF HUMBLE PEOPLE
• Our perfect Role Model Jesus Christ – Phil. 2:6-7.
• David – A man after God’s Heart – I Chron. 17:16-19.
• Abraham – A friend of God -Gen. 18:1-8.
• Paul -The New Generation Apostle – 2 Cor. 12:6, 1Cor. 15:10.
• Our Father-in-the-Lord – Daddy E.A. Adeboye.
LIFE APPLICATION: Only a humble person can manifest a grateful heart and acknowledge the sovereignty of God. We are who we are today through Christ and His grace. We should therefore live in recognition of what God has done and be thankful continually. We should never feel too big to acknowledge God and be grateful for all that He has done for us,
CONCLUSION: Humility is often characterized as genuine gratitude. True humility is seeing ourselves as we are, fallen in sin and helpless without God. Through humility, we develop a grateful heart. However, a life without Christ will always struggle with pride and cannot achieve humility by strength but with the Help of God through the Holy Spirit.
TODAY’S LESSON REFLECTION:
What truth have you learnt in today’s lesson?
Write down one way in which you are going to apply what you now know.