RCCG JUNIOR ZEAL (AGES 13-19) – TEACHER’S MANUAL FOR OCTOBER 8, 2023: TOPIC – REVISION 1/SUMMARY
RCCG JUNIOR ZEAL FOR 2022/2023
AGE 13-19 TEACHER’S MANUAL
SUNDAY 8TH OF OCTOBER, 2023
LESSON SIX (06)
TOPIC: REVISION 1/SUMMARY
– The teacher is to revise the previous lessons with the Teenagers
– You can also ask them questions to ensure the lessons have been well understood
SUMMARY OF LESSONS 1-5
LESSON ONE (01)
TOPIC: WHAT IS A GRATEFUL HEART?
BIBLE TEXT: Psalms 103:1-5
MEMORY VERSE: Psalm 103:2 – Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
LESSON AIM: At the the end of the study, teenagers should be able to understand what it means to have a grateful heart
CENTRAL TRUTH: Having a grateful heart is a necessity in our journey.
INTRODUCTION: The nature of man is selfish. This is why many people complain a lot and are ungrateful. Having a grateful heart is powerful because it reaffirms God’s goodness and love towards us. A grateful heart enhances positive emotions, relishes good experiences, improves health and helps us build good relationships. Gratitude is a warm or deep appreciation of kindness or benefits received. A grateful heart is a magnet for miracles because the more grateful you are, the more blessings you receive. This is why a child of God should have a grateful heart.
A. CHARACTERISTICS OF A GRATEFUL HEART
• A grateful heart is always thankful – Col. 3:17; 107:8
• A grateful heart is always joyful – 1 Thess. 5:16
• A grateful heart always has memories of God’s goodness and benefits – Ps. 103:2-5
• A grateful heart is not selfish but generous, in service to God and humanity -2 Cor. 9:11-12
• A grateful heart celebrate the mighty deeds of God – Psalm 9:1
• A grateful heart is God-centered and conscious of others
B. WHY SHOULD WE HAVE A GRATEFUL HEART?
• It glorifies God and showS us as thankful so we can get even more -2 Cor 4:15
• It puts us in God’s will – 1 Thess 5:18
• It helps us to see God even in difficult situations until He comes through for us – James. 1:16-17
• It brings peace – Phil. 4:6-7
• It draws us to God – Luke 17:17-19
• It deepens our faith – Ps. 136:1
• It leads to joy – Ps. 126:1-3
• It enables us to live in the presence of God continually – Ps. 16:11
• It helps us live with a heart of contentment – 1 Tim. 6:6-8
C. HOW DO WE DEVELOP A GRATEFUL HEART?
• Giving thanks always – 1 Thess. 5:18; Col. 3:17
• Meditating on the Word of God – Josh 1:8
• Sharing testimonies of God’s goodness – 1 Chron. 16:8;
• Being kind to others – Eph. 4:32
LIFE APPLICATION: Gratitude is a necessity in our daily walk as believers; we must learn to be grateful to God first, then to others for the kindness we receive from them and then be kind to others around us. A small act of kindness has the ability to vibrate the chords of love in another man’s heart and in eternity.
CONCLUSION: Give thanks always, maintain a reflective attitude, count your blessings, even when you cannot see them. Give thanks even for the little things like air, clouds, skies, peace, family, etc. There’s always something to be grateful for; the question is, what are you looking at?
LESSON TWO (2)
TOPIC: WHO DESERVES GRATITUDE 1: GOD
BIBLE TEXT: Luke 17:11-19
MEMORY VERSE: Psalm 100:3 – Know ye that the LORD he is God it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
LESSON AIM: At the end of the study, teenagers should be able to recognize why God deserves our gratitude and how to show it to Him.
CENTRAL TRUTH: We are to be grateful to God because He is our Creator and Father.
INTRODUCTION: God’s love towards mankind is so awesome that we cannot describe it. The death of His only begotten Son on the Cross earned us Salvation. His wonderful acts and blessings are innumerable. Looking at all these and more, we discover that God indeed deserves our gratitude.
•WHY GOD DESERVES OUR GRATITUDE?
• He deserves our praise and gratitude because He is God, the Alpha and Omega, the very beginning and end. There’s none like Him, neither is there any to be compared to Him – Rev. 1:8.
• He gave us salvation even at the cost of His only begotten Son Jesus Christ – John 3:16, 2 Tim. 1:9.
• He has a plan for us which will never fail – Jer. 29:11.
• He is our Great Provider – Luke 12:24
• He is kind and merciful despite our shortcomings and flaws – Ps. 136:1; Lam. 3:22-23, Ps. 100:5.
• For the gift of eternal life – John 17:3.
•HOW TO SHOW GRATITUDE TO GOD
• Give Him thanks always – Ps. 103:1-5.
• Be specific in your thanksgiving – Ps. 103:2.
• Share your testimonies of God’s goodness – Ps. 105:1-5.
• Serve Him with gladness – Rom. 12:1, Psalm 100:2.
• Give Him a sacrifice of thanksgiving – Psalm 100:4.
• Develop a habit of always thanking God – 1 Thess 5:18.
•WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GIVE THANKS?
• You enjoy God’s peace and joy – Phil. 4:6-7
• It guards our hearts from thinking negatively – Phil. 4:6-7.
• You position yourself to receive more – Luke 17:15-19.
LIFE APPLICATION: If you feel like there’s nothing to really thank God for, thank Him for life, thank Him for all that has been made available to you freely, including the breath of life. Cultivate the habit of saying “Thank you. Jesus” as many times as possible every day; this helps you live in the consciousness of His presence.
CONCLUSION: God deserves our gratitude because of His loving kindness and tender mercies towards us and there is really nothing we can give to Him, other than our thanks. We experience God’s goodness and blessings in our lives on a daily basis, all around us and in all that we do. Therefore, He deserves our thanks always.
LESSON THREE (03)
TOPIC: WHO DESERVES GRATITUDE 2: PARENTS
BIBLE TEXT: Luke 2:41-52
MEMORY VERSE: Ephesians 6:2 – Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
LESSON AIM: At the end of the study, teenagers should be able to understand why parents deserve gratitude and how it should be done.
CENTRAL TRUTH: Parents deserve our gratitude because of the major role they play in our growth and development in life.
INTRODUCTION: The fifth commandment in the Bible says “Honor your father and your mother, that thy days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.” Parents are ordained by God to bring us into the world and are saddled with the responsibility of training us to fulfil purpose and destiny by making sacrifices and paying the price to ensure this is done. Therefore, they deserve our gratitude.
Jesus Christ our perfect example came as a baby through Mary and Joseph, and He accepted them as His earthly parents whom He obeyed and honored, despite being the Saviour of mankind.
WHY PARENTS DESERVES OUR GRATITUDE?
• They are the vehicle through which we were brought to life.
•They are our first teachers and trainers – Prov. 22:6.
• They make provision for our needs.
•The child’s development depends heavily on the parents.
• They instill discipline in us as their children.
• God works hand-in-hand with them to make us become the best version of ourselves.
• HOW TO SHOW GRATITUDE TO PARENTS
• Honour your parents- Ex 20:12, Eph 6:2.
• Pray for them.
• Honour and respect them- Eph. 6:2.
• Obey them – Eph 6:1,
• Celebrate them.
• Assist them in the home and in their businesses.
• Tell them you love them and show it.
C. BENEFITS OF SHOWING GRATITUDE TO PARENTS
• Long life – Eph 6:2.
• Peace of mind.
• Blessings – Gen. 49:22-26.
LIFE APPLICATION: Intentionally put into practice being grateful to God for your parents and be grateful to them also – not just in words, but also in gestures, obedience, honor and respect.
CONCLUSION: Looking at all the pains and sacrifices that our parents have gone through in leading us in the journey to fulfillment of purpose and destiny, they deserve our gratitude.
LESSON FOUR (4)
TOPIC: WHO DESERVES GRATITUDE 3: TEACHERS
BIBLE TEXT: Galatians 6:7-10; 1 Thessalonians 5:11
MEMORY VERSE: Galatians 6:6 – Let him that is taaught in the word communicate unto him that teaches in all good things
LESSON AIM: At the end of the study, teenagers should be able to understand why teachers deserve gratitude and how it should be shown.
CENTRAL TRUTH: Teachers deserve our gratitude for the knowledge and virtues they impact us with.
INTRODUCTION: Teachers are some of the most selfless, giving, caring individuals in our world. Their goals and ambitions are seeing their students succeed in life and many of us have our teachers to thank for where we are! Yet, teachers often face discouragement and feelings of defeat. Speak words of encouragement and thankfulness to them and it will make a difference in their day.
• WHO ARE TEACHERS?
• They are educators who help students acquire knowledge, competence or virtues, via the practice of teaching.
• A teacher is one who is able to impart truth and wisdom for life and living.
• A teacher is one from whom you learn.
• A teacher is one who has divine authority and must be obeyed.
• WHY TEACHERS DESERVE OUR GRATITUDE
• They are resilient and committed to making their students become the best they can be.
• They support their students and are a great backup to them.
•They are light givers.
• They show the pathway which every student should tread.
• Without teachers, there would be no education or enlightenment.
• They sacrifice a lot – their time, resources and sometimes their finances.
• Teachers provide mentorship and inspire learners.
• HOW TO SHOW GRATITUDE TO TEACHERS
1. Celebrate and express your gratitude to them in words and gestures.
2. Obey and listen to them by following the guidelines and instructions they give.
3. Give them gifts and appreciate them.
4. Pray for them.
5. Encourage them to do more by living a life worthy of the lessons they have taught you.
LIFE APPLICATION: The best way to express our gratitude to teachers is to truly live up to their teachings, put their mentoring to active use and live in accordance with all they advise, guide and instruct us to do.
CONCLUSION: You can only know as much as you’re taught and learn. The importance of teachers cannot be overemphasized in our world, because sometimes when it seems that parents have failed, teachers fill the missing link, training people to fulfil purpose in life and destiny.
LESSON FIVE (5)
TOPIC: WHO DESERVES GRATITUDE 4: FRIENDS/NEIGHBORS
BIBLE TEXT: Proverbs 18:24; Proverbs 27:17
MEMORY VERSE: Proverbs 27:10 – “Thine own friend, and thy father’s friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother’s house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off.”
LESSON AIM: At the end of the study, teenagers should be able to understand why friends and neighbours deserve gratitude and how it should be expressed.
CENTRAL TRUTH: Neighbours and friends are very important in the journey of life. They therefore need to be appreciated and our gratitude to them should be expressed from time to time.
INTRODUCTION: Relationships are a cornerstone of happiness and living a full life. This is because they come with a wide array of rewards. Relationships provide us with friends, neighbours and family to share our lives with and people who can help us out in tough times. They tend to bring us a lot of help that gives relief, which results in joy. Thus, they deserve our gratitude.
WHO ARE FRIENDS/NEIGHBOURS?
• A neighbour is anyone around you at any point in time, while a friend is someone who is walking with you on the journey of life.
• Friends can be freely chosen amongst peers and are based on reciprocity of affection while neighbours are accessible and less freely chosen, with no mutual obligations or expectations.
HOW DO I KNOW OR CHOOSE FRIENDS WISELY?
• Similarity of values – Pro. 27:17
• Similarity of purpose and vision – Pro. 27:17
• Divine direction – Rom. 8:14, 2 Cor. 6:14
• Christlikeness – 2 Cor. 6:14
• Filial and mutual love, as well as respect for each other – Prov. 17:17
WHY FRIENDS DESERVE OUR GRATITUDE
•They can be our support system in hard times – Eccl. 4:8-12.
• They open doors to greater, stronger and better relationships.
• Some of them are helpers of destiny.
• They help us strengthen our faith when we walk away from the right path – Prov. 27:9.
• We can rely on them – Job 6:14.
• They give sincere advice, seeking the best for us – Prov. 27:9, 12:26.
• Friendships promote mutual love – John 15:12-13.
• Friends challenge each other for the best – Prov. 27:17.
• True friends love at all times – Prov. 17:17.
• They are a source of blessings from God – Prov. 27:9.
HOW TO SHOW GRATITUDE TO FRIENDS NEIGHBOURS
• Be their friend also – Prov. 18:24.
• Agree with them when they are right.
• Corect in love and be an encourager – Prov. 27:9.
• Pray for and with them – James. 5:16.
• Celebrate them and celebrate with them, especially on their special days e.g. birthdays, matriculation, graduation etc.
• Be sincere with them – Prov. 27:9.
• Support and defend them.
LIFE APPLICATION: He/She who wants a good friend must first of all be friendly and put on godly values and characters.
CONCLUSION: Iron sharpeneth Iron, so a man sharpens his friend – Prov. 27:17. Iron cannot sharpen a piece of wood or plastic. The kind of friend you keep is a reflection of who you are. 2 Cor. 6:14 explains that light has nothing to do with darkness. Amos 3:3 also explains that people need to agree to do anything together.